Last Updated on 10/1/2020
Blockchain Networks and Third Party Exchange Platforms
Advertising and Analytics
Additional Disclosures for Individuals in Europe
Transaction information broadcast to a Blockchain Network includes, but is not limited to, your public sending address, the public address of the receiver, the amount of digital currency sent, and any other data you may choose to include. Due to the inherent nature of Blockchain Networks, information stored on a Blockchain Network is public and cannot be removed or deleted. You should be aware that any information posted to a Blockchain Network will be made permanently available to the public. Your transactions and addresses may reveal information about you and those with whom you are transacting. Such information can potentially be correlated with you and others now or in the future by any party who chooses to do so, including law enforcement.
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, you share information directly with us when you fill out a form on our Site, submit a donation, communicate with us via third-party platforms, participate in a contest or promotion, request customer support, or otherwise communicate with us. The types of personal information we may collect include your name, email address, country of residence, postal address, photo ID, payment information, and any other information you choose to provide.
Information We Collect Automatically When You Interact with Us
When you access or use our Services or otherwise transact with us, we automatically collect certain information, including:
- Transactional Information: When you make a donation or, if you are an eligible recipient, receive a donation, we collect information about the transaction, such as the amount and type of cryptocurrency transmitted or received, and the date and time of the transaction.
- Device and Usage Information: We collect information about how you access our Services, including data about the device and network you use, such as your hardware model, operating system version, mobile network, IP address, unique device identifiers, browser type, and app version. We also collect information about your activity on our Services, such as access times, pages viewed, links clicked, and the page you visited before navigating to our Services.
- Information Collected by Cookies and Similar Tracking Technologies: We (and our service providers) use tracking technologies, such as cookies and web beacons, to collect information about you. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory that help us improve our Services and your experience, see which areas and features of our Services are popular, and count visits. Web beacons (also known as “pixel tags” or “clear GIFs”) are electronic images that we use on our Services and in our emails to help deliver cookies, count visits, and understand usage and campaign effectiveness. For more information about cookies and how to disable them, see the Your Choices section below.
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We obtain information from third-party sources. For example, we may collect information about you from Exchanges or other payment processors we receive transactions from, identity verification services, credit bureaus, advertising networks, data analytics providers, and mailing list providers. If you make or accept a donation through your account at an Exchange we integrate with (such as Coinbase, Inc.), we will have access to certain information from that platform, such as your first and last name, certain transaction information, and if you opt-in, your email address, in accordance with the authorization procedures determined by such platform.
Information We Derive
We may derive information or draw inferences about you based on the information we collect. For example, we may make inferences about the risk of transacting with you based upon the information that you provide to us.
We use the information we collect to process donations of cryptocurrency via the Site and provide the Services. We also use the information we collect to:
- Provide, maintain, and improve our products and services;
- Process transactions and send you related information, including confirmations, receipts, customer experience surveys, and notices;
- Personalize and improve your experience on our Services;
- Send you technical notices, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- Respond to your comments and questions and provide customer service;
- Communicate with you about products, services, and events offered by GiveCrypto and others and provide news and information that we think will interest you (see the Your Choices section below for information about how to opt out of these communications at any time);
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Services;
- Detect, investigate, and prevent security incidents and other malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity and protect the rights and property of GiveCrypto and others;
- Conduct anti-fraud, identity verification, sanctions screening, and other screening procedures;
- Debug to identify and repair errors in our Services;
- Comply with our legal and financial obligations;
- Carry out any other purpose described to you at the time the information was collected; and
- Personalize the advertisements you see on third-party platforms and websites (for more information, see the Advertising and Analytics section below).
We share personal information in the following circumstances or as otherwise described in this policy:
- We share personal information with GiveCrypto’s fiscal sponsor, Pledge Group Foundation, Inc., a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, in order to process and distribute donations in a tax-exempt manner.
- We share personal information with vendors, service providers, and consultants that need access to personal information in order to perform services for us, such as companies that assist us with web hosting, payment processing, fraud prevention, sanctions screening, customer service, and marketing and advertising.
- If you make or receive a donation, we may share this information publicly on our Services.
- We may disclose personal information if we believe that disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law or legal process, including lawful requests by public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
- We may share personal information if we believe that your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, if we believe that you have violated the law, or if we believe it is necessary to protect the rights, property, and safety of GiveCrypto, our users, the public, or others.
- We share personal information with our lawyers and other professional advisors where necessary to obtain advice or otherwise protect and manage our interests.
- We may share personal information in connection with, or during negotiations concerning the sale of GiveCrypto’s assets, fundraising, or acquisition of all or a portion of our organization by another entity or non-profit organization.
- We share personal information with your consent or at your direction.
- We also share aggregated or de-identified information that cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
While we do not do this today, in the future we may work with third parties to serve ads to you as part of customized campaigns on third-party platforms (such as Facebook and Instagram). As part of these ad campaigns, we or the third-party platforms may convert information about you, such as your interests in certain regional causes (e.g., your interest in regional causes in East Africa), into a unique value that can be matched with a user account on these platforms to allow us to learn about your interests and serve you advertising that is customized to your interests. Note that the third-party platforms may offer you choices about whether you see these types of customized ads.
GiveCrypto is headquartered in the United States, and we have operations and service providers in the United States. Therefore, we and our service providers may transfer your personal information to, or store or access it in, jurisdictions that may not provide levels of data protection that are equivalent to those of your home jurisdiction. We will take steps to ensure that your personal information receives an adequate level of protection in the jurisdictions in which we process it.
You may update and correct certain account information at any time by emailing us at email@example.com. If you wish to delete the information that we have collected about you, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, but note that we may retain certain information as required by law or for our legitimate business purposes.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually adjust your browser settings to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that removing or rejecting cookies could affect the availability and functionality of our Services.
You may opt out of receiving promotional emails from GiveCrypto by following the instructions in those communications. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as those about your donation activities or our ongoing relations.
If you are located in the European Economic Area (EEA), the United Kingdom, or Switzerland, you have certain rights and protections under the law regarding the processing of your personal data, and this section applies to you.
Legal Basis for Processing
When we process your personal data, we will do so in reliance on the following lawful bases:
- To perform our responsibilities under our contract with you (e.g., processing donations and providing the services you requested).
- When we have a legitimate interest in processing your personal data to operate our organization or protect our interests (e.g., to provide, maintain, and improve our products and services, conduct data analytics, and communicate with you).
- To comply with our legal obligations (e.g., to maintain a record of your consents and track those who have opted out of marketing communications).
- When we have your consent to do so (e.g., when you opt in to receive marketing communications from us). When consent is the legal basis for our processing your personal data, you may withdraw such consent at any time.
We store personal data as long as necessary to carry out the purposes for which we originally collected it and for other legitimate business purposes, including to meet our legal, regulatory, or other compliance obligations.
Data Subject Requests
Subject to certain limitations, you have the right to request access to the personal data we hold about you and to receive your data in a portable format, the right to ask that your personal data be corrected or erased, and the right to object to, or request that we restrict, certain processing. If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please email us at email@example.com.
Questions or Complaints
If you have a concern about our processing of personal data that we are not able to resolve, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Authority where you reside. Contact details for your Data Protection Authority can be found using the links below:
For individuals in the EEA: https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en
For individuals in the UK: https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/
For individuals in Switzerland: https://www.edoeb.admin.ch/edoeb/en/home/the-fdpic/contact.html